Who we are and what we do
Fidelity International provides investment solutions and retirement expertise to institutions, individuals and their advisers - to help our clients build better futures for themselves and generations to come. As a private company we think generationally and invest for the long term. Helping clients to save for retirement and other long term investing objectives has been at the core of our business for 50 years.
We offer our own investment solutions and access to those of others, and deliver services relating to investing: For individual investors and their advisers we provide guidance to help them invest in a simple and cost effective way. For institutions including pension funds, banks and insurance companies we offer tailored investment solutions and full-service asset management outsourcing. And for employers we provide workplace pension administration services on top or independently of investment management.
We are responsible for total client assets of £629.9* billion from over 2.81 million clients* across Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, South America and Canada.
*All data as at 31 December 2023
Established in 1969 as the international arm of Fidelity Investments, founded in Boston in 1946, Fidelity International became independent of the US organisation in 1980, and is today owned mainly by management and members of the original founding family.
Our investment approach
Building on active, bottom-up research, we create a competitive advantage for our clients. Because markets are only semi-efficient, we act on intelligent insight:
- We have large research capabilities with over 360 investment professionals* and research staff around the world.
- We are committed to providing in-house research and insights:
- Our portfolio managers have access to our own research, unavailable to others.
- Our analysts carry out their research on the ground – visiting the shop floor, speaking to customers, competitors, suppliers, and independent experts to form conviction.
- We commission bespoke surveys and reports to understand the market potential of companies’ product and service innovations.
- We believe that responsible investing - taking into account Environmental, Social and Governance aspects - is essential to providing an excellent service to our clients.
- Our analysts work together across asset classes, e.g. combining insights from equity and credit research, to form a complete view on the health and prospects of companies.
- Our Manager Research team covers ~170 third party investment strategies which can be built into bespoke client portfolios.
- Our innovative technology platform gives our investment professionals mobile access to all research and reporting in one place. This includes risk monitoring, unique modelling, and forecasting tools. Portfolio Managers are also able to initiate trades anytime from anywhere for execution by our 24/7 global trading team
This is how we find growth opportunities or income streams that others may not have identified – allowing us to consistently add value for our clients.
*All data as at 30 July 2021
How we run our business
Our portfolio managers are compensated on their long-term performance so that client and manager interests are aligned. The same is true for our management, whose shareholdings are for the duration of their careers with the company.
We are stewards of our clients’ money and have an important role to play in improving the governance of the companies in which we invest our clients’ money – helping companies become better companies.
We train many of our fund managers through our rigorous Portfolio Manager Academy programme. New portfolio managers initially manage pilot funds to test their ideas with our own money first. To our clients we offer tried and tested funds as a matter of principle.